It’s a good idea to have a basic author bio (more than one, actually, in different lengths and tones), but I always seem to end up customizing. The other day, it was pertinent to note in a bio that many, if not most, of my stories involved elves of some sort.
That got me thinking about the various sorts of elves. Turns out there are quite a few varieties:
- The Tolkienesque elves of the Forgotten Realms
- The drow, the Forgotten Realms dark elves
- Criminally-inclined elves who live hidden lives in modern-day Providence, RI
- Linchetto, the “night elves” of Tuscan folklore
- There’s a short story in the works featuring the kijimunaa, a leprechaun-like elf specific to Okinawa
- I’m currently working on a new novel that includes a version of the alfar, the elves of Nordic mythology.
No stories about Santa’s elves yet. That’s a serious oversight on my part.